Surround yourself with colorful parakeets in our walk-through aviary!
Beautiful budgies fly about (and may land on you!) in this exciting and immersive experience. Enjoy the company of feathered friends, and purchase a seed stick for only $2!*
Flock to Parakeet Landing—an interactive exhibit you won’t want to miss!
Learn More about Parakeets
- The birds in this exhibit are known by many different names including parakeet, budgerigar, budgie, grass parakeet, and shell parakeet, to name a few!
- Wild budgies are originally from Australia. While it’s not known exactly where the name “budgerigar” comes from, it is thought to originate from an Aboriginal word or phrase.
- Budgies are nomadic; they move from place to place in search of food & water and can travel hundreds of miles to find them!
- A cere is the small area of flesh above the beak (where the nostrils are located). Not all birds have this, but on a parakeet, the color of this flesh is how you can distinguish between a male and female. If the cere is blue, the bird is a male; if the cere is tan or brown, the bird is a female.
- Hardy birds, budgies can endure climates that range from very hot and dry to cold and rainy—so they’re well-equipped to deal with the weather here in Central PA!
*Please be advised: While the seed sticks themselves do not contain peanuts, the seeds on the sticks have come into contact with peanuts. No guests should be ingesting these seeds, but we wanted to disclose this information for guests with severe peanut allergies to avoid the possibility of any adverse reactions.